[CentOS] MySQL ERROR - UNKNOWN_MYSQL_USER

Thu Jul 21 07:33:00 UTC 2011
Markus Falb <markus.falb at fasel.at>

On 20.7.2011 23:07, Keith Roberts wrote:
> This is strange behavior because as soon as I start mysqld
> with a clean error log, I get the following messages:
>
> 110720 21:38:47 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for
> connections.
> Version: '5.5.14-log'  socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'
> port: 2500  MySQL Community Server (GPL) by Remi
>
> 110720 21:38:48 [Warning] Access denied for user
> 'UNKNOWN_MYSQL_USER'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
>
> The strange things is, AFAIK there are no clients trying to
> connect to mysql. I shutdown a mysql CLI monitor I had
> running, and did the restart again.
>
> So I'm just wondering why I get this message, when AFAIK
> there is nothing that should be trying to connect to mysql -
> unless it's a server daemon running somewhere?
>
> Has anyone else come across this funny error message?

Please have a look at the initscript /etc/init.d/mysqld

...snip
# Spin for a maximum of N seconds waiting for the server to come up.
# Rather than assuming we know a valid username, accept an "access
# denied" response as meaning the server is functioning.
snap...

-- Kind Regards, Markus Falb