[CentOS] managing a rack full of centos servers

Thu Jul 21 08:16:38 UTC 2011
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Two and a quarter years ago, I got stuck with Spacewalk where I had a
> short-term contract, and it was a horror. (Note that while I was working
> on it, it went from 0.4 to 0.5) As Iain said, it requires Oracle, and I
> found I had to add an addition setting to Oracle - the free version has a
> max of 1G of memory, and I had to max it out (I think I set shared memory
> in Oracle's control panel to 994M), just to get it to work. It's also
> complex to configure and use, so if you're not looking at dozens or
> hundreds of machines, I wouldn't use it.

It /did/ require Oracle, but it doesn't any more.  To be honest, getting it
working with Oracle was a piece of cake, and the 1G limit wasn't really an
issue as the active database isn't that big.  The 4Gbyte limit on database
size on disk with the XE edition /was/ an issue once you were managing a large
numer of machines.  The defaults that it ship with work fine, other than a
couple of values that can improve performance that are documented on the
spacewalk web site.

I've used spacewalk since 0.1, and it's really not that bad at all.  There's
bits of it I think could be better, but it's not the 'horror' you seem to
think it is.

jh