[CentOS] SOLVED: CentOS 6 PXE boot:Unable to download the kickstart file

Thu Jul 21 11:42:03 UTC 2011
Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk>

Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
> We have CentOS 6 manual installation working by PXE booting from a RHEL5.6
> PXE/TFTP server.  However, when we add a Kickstart file in the PXE
> configuration:
>
>     kernel CentOS-6-i386/vmlinuz
>     append load_ramdisk=1 initrd=CentOS-6-i386/initrd.img network
> ks=nfs:130.226.86.4:/u/rpm/kickstart/ks-centos-6-clean-i386.cfg
>
> then the CentOS 6 client install reports "Unable to download the kickstart file".
> The console 3 reports "failed to mount nfs source".

This problem has been resolved.  A silly editing error replacing 5->6 also
changed the IP-address :-(  With the correct IP-address Kickstart works
correctly with an NFSv3 server as shown above.  No need to upgrade to NFSv4
and Kerberos :-)

For the record, it is in fact possible to add NFS mount options to the PXE
APPEND line, as documented in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda_Boot_Options.
To explicitly force an NFSv3 mount you may add the following NFS mount option:
    ks=nfs:nfsvers=3:servername:filename

Thanks again for everybody's help.
/Ole