[CentOS] How to remove Microsoft soft raid?

Thu Jul 21 15:09:11 UTC 2011
Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com>

>From the sounds of it it's fake raid. M$ doesn't leave any signatures
on their raid system that linux will detect. dm/md raid can see
fakeraid signatures in newer versions so the installer may be picking
up on that.

--
Drew

On 07/21/2011, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> wrote:
>

>> Have a quad core workstation that was running WinXP_64 that I want to
>> blow away and install CentOS 6.  C6 install process finds raid metadata
>> associated with sda and sdb, and then excludes them from the rest of the
>> installation process.
>>
>> There doesn't appear to be an option for disassembling the raid as part
>> of the install process.  I think there should be.
>>
>> Any tricks to removing/by-passing the soft raid left over from the
>> previous OS?
>
> Is this pure WinXP_64 software RAID or BIOS-assisted 'fakeraid'?  If the
> latter, go into the BIOS and change its settings from 'RAID' to 'AHCI'
> or other 'native' SATA mode.
>
> The only other thought would be to use a Live CD to clobber the disks
> (eg using fdisk or 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda' or something). It might
> also be possible to get to a shell process with Alt-F2 in the installer
> and using fdisk, etc. to clobber the disks -- do this *before* screen
> where it asks about partitioning, etc.
>

>> Dave M

> --
> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com
> Deepwoods Software        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign -- against html e-mail
> /\  www.asciiribbon.org   -- against proprietary attachments

Sent from my mobile device

Drew

--Marie Curie

"This started out as a hobby and spun horribly out of control."
-Unknown

MGen Dorlan Kwase UFPSFMC
Deputy Judge Advocate General
9th MARDIV Commander, Ret.