[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Sun Jul 24 12:04:26 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at u6.u22.net>

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 08:30 -0300, Giovanni Tirloni wrote:

> My point is that big changes happen in Linux much frequently than in
> Solaris and even Solaris sometimes doesn't support these kinds of
> upgrades.

It is the inevitable and time-consuming upheaval which many will
probably find daunting. Installing Centos then configuring it for a
specific manner of operation can take several hours.

When I recently re-installed C 5.6 as a server/desktop, the
configuration took 4 to 5 hours to complete. I didn't use kickstart.

People love and appreciate Centos. They sometimes shudder at the
implication of effectively a re-installation, re-configuration and a
translation of perfectly good reliable working applications into
unfamiliar compulsory alternatives. Get something wrong and the time and
effort increases and competes with the daily priorities of running a
smooth computer operation and responding to all the things that do
occur.

The challenge is how to do an easily transition from one major version
to its successor version with the least physical, emotional,
intellectual and time-consuming effort.

--
With best regards,

Paul.