[CentOS] lots of small files in a folder on Linux centos

Sun Jul 24 23:11:49 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at u6.u22.net>

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 17:50 -0400, R P Herrold wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2011, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
> >> By using a hash, we remove those constraints, and also gain
> >> the virtuous effect for free of self-organizing a relatively
> >> level dispersion of files to the destination directories
> >
> > Not followed the whole thread, but a SQL database index of
> > the actual picture files, giving the path into the directory
> > structure. Would that work?

The answer must be 'yes' to a normal problem of identifying (searching
for) then retrieving data. MySQL would be a good choice.

Russ' adoration(?) of Donald KNUTH made me read the first page of

[1] http://pplab.snu.ac.kr/courses/adv_pl05/papers/p261-knuth.pdf

which includes this

"This study focuses largely on two issues: (a) improved syntax for
iterations and error exits, making it possible to write a larger class
of programs clearly and efficiently without go to statements; (b) a
methodology of program design, beginning with readable and correct,
but possibly inefficient programs that are systematically transformed if
necessary into efficient and correct, but possibly less readable code."

A computer programmer can not change the syntax of the language he or
her is writing-in. The syntax of any programming language is determined
by the creator of that programming language.

Spaghetti-code is a trade-mark of confused programmers, usually of
little ability and certainly have never spend days trying to debug
someone else's programme. Spaghetti-code can always be avoided by a
clear understanding of what the user wants coupled with the programmer's
in depth understanding of how to implement the user's requirements in
the chosen programming language whilst remembering someone else may have
to maintain the programme.

Hashing file names is an interesting concept but a simple, and they are
very simple to write, MySQL db application running as HTML pages, with a
dash of PHP, makes the application universally accessible and easy to
use. Oh, and on Centos, amazingly quick to run :-)

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,