[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Mon Jul 25 02:31:26 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at u6.u22.net>

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 22:20 -0400, Thomas Dukes wrote:

> The compliation of ffmpeg/zoneminder seems to be an issue
> with CentOS with the outdated php/mysql and other various libs.

PHP and MySQL work fine for me. My systems depend on both these being
reliable, efficient, dependable and robust - they are on Centos 5.6.

> I can see the direction RHEL is taking and its more and more like
> Microsoft.

While Centos (and SL) exist, we are never going to be like M$. RH needs,
commercially, to prevent/reduce business losses to copy-cat companies
like Oracle etc.

> The enduser is having to be more and more dependent on the provider.
> CentOS has its hands tied.

Yes all Centos users are dependent on RH if they want to run a 100%
binary compatible system. However there is flexibility to add
non-standard software and, as you have proved, one's own non-standard
applications successfully.

Good Luck. We will be here if you pop back sometime in the future.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,