[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Mon Jul 25 22:07:13 UTC 2011
Patrick Lists <centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl>

On 07/25/2011 10:49 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> The context for the issue was someone moving from 5.x to 6.x.

Still normal procedures apply: port to the new platform and/or rebuild
for the new platform, test on the new platform, rinse & repeat, verify,
give seal of approval, package and finally deploy the RPM(s).

>> So do people in the Windows world decide to *not* build msi packages
>> because their PHB might decide to replace all Windows with RHEL/CentOS?
>
> But wouldn't it be better if they actually did that instead of locking
> themselves into a single vendors system?

Really? No. I wish you good luck with the DLL hell caused by your
non-versioned, non-packaged, non-controllable, non-manageable source
install on a few thousand servers. You don't get freedom or
not-being-locked-in from not using best practices like versioned
packaging. The choice for a certain platform was made. Deal with it.

>> I have never seen that (the not building msi packages that is). And
>> neither the reverse.
>
> How do you deal with java apps in cross platform environments?

RHEL5 life cycle ends on 31/03/2017 so for now I don't.

Regards,
Patrick