[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Tue Jul 26 04:32:21 UTC 2011
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011, Mike Burger wrote:

> If IBM can make this happen for their OS, and Red Hat certainly supports
> such a process in the Fedora line of releases (including the ability to
> list additional repositories for remote installation as part of the
> process), they could certainly make it a supportable option for the RHEL
> line.

The upstream supports nothing as to Fedora, and indeed,
members of that project regularly (and seem to gleefully)
break forward compatability

But you are missing the point -- WHY spend the engineering
effort on trying to support such Major 'upgradeany's?  A new
deployment takes mere minutes for a commercial shop, and by
NOT supporting such explicitly, the upstream avoids much
support and engineering load.

[I say this having done an 'upgradeany' and run into a later
'nss' in C5 than the C6 initial media provides, that required
some head scratching, and a nasty workaround, to solve over
the weekend]

-- Russ herrold