[CentOS] Adding the [SOLVED] Tag to break threads -- multiple factors

Thu Jul 28 15:14:38 UTC 2011
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 07/28/2011 09:59 AM Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <sig.51907ae09c.CAAj3DjkxVacpejZzYYwUhqSpfeW2pKeN93XrFbMbd8jnVScZug at mail.gmail.com>,
> Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net> wrote:
>>> Is that why it's frowned upon to use a current thread to
>>> start a new one? Like doing a 'reply to' and then changing
>>> the subject line?
>> Yup. Even if you change the subject, the email headers still remain
>> and many email clients use the email headers to group the mails
>> relevant to that conversation
>
> By that token, adding [SOLVED] is not such a problem after all!
>
> I personally find it useful to see [SOLVED] without having to open
> each post to find which one in a long thread contains the solution.
>
> Convention has it that only the original poster adds [SOLVED], when
> summarising how the original problem was overcome. - i.e. suggested
> solutions from others do not add it.
>
> Tony

The effect of changing the Subject line is going to vary with the email
reader and composer apps which are used.  (Though I'm not versed well
enough in the internals of mail servers to say, off the top of my head I
can't see why they would handle mail any differently due to a change in
the Subject line.)  Among the numerous header lines of the email from
Tony above is this one:

(It may appear line-wrapped, but as delivered to me it is all on a
single line.  Also, I emphatically didn't pick this line because it has
my name in it alongside the year I started using Linux. :)  I'm assuming
that this is meant to assist in thread ordering.  As such, it should be
sufficient and overcome variations in the text of the Subject line.  Yet
that will depend on the code in everyone's email readers.  We should
consider the mail archives as well, whether they also use the same
algorithms and determinants for organizing threads.  As a long time
Tbird user, I find that it handles variations in the Subject line quite
well: e.g., threading is preserved despite alterations to the Subject
line.  This is no guarantee regarding other mail readers or archivers.

As a test, I appended a couple words to the previous subject line.  If
this causes this email to show up as the beginning of a new thread to
you, please report that back to us along with the email reader and
version you're using.  (Of course this is far from a rigorous test, but
it's the best I can do at the moment.)

Thanks,
ken

--
"When a society comes together and makes decisions in harmony,
when it respects its most noble traditions, cares for its most