[CentOS] Adding the [SOLVED] Tag to break threads -- multiple factors

Thu Jul 28 21:01:21 UTC 2011
Spiro Harvey <spiro at knossos.net.nz>

> the thing is that not all mail clients will set the in-reply-to
> headers, whuch is why clients like thunderbird, evolution and mutt
> will use the subject line as well to thread messages.

Apple Mail does that too and it makes the threading unusable IMO.

If the clients are too dumb to adhere to a convention, I don't believe
it's our job to baby them.

Personally, I like the idea of the [SOLVED] tags because they can
indicate when help is no longer needed.

However, I also like the way the Sun Managers list does (did? it's been
many years since I used it), but they basically said, post a question,
work it out, then post a new SOLVED thread outlining the solution.

While that would probably be a bit too formal for this list, it was a
fantastic way of learning things. And having the solved thread made
searching through archives way easier. Find a problem related to yours,
then look for the SOLVED post. If you needed more detail, you went back
to the main thread and read all the posts to see how they came to that
conclusion.

--
Spiro Harvey                           Knossos Networks Ltd
(04) 460-2531 : (021) 295-1923          www.knossos.net.nz