[CentOS] Subnet expansion

Sat Jul 30 03:15:45 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 7/28/11 5:47 AM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> Hi John,
> Thanks for helping. I have some discussion also with friends in the
> physical world, and they suggest:
> 1. Keep the current network 10.1.16.0/22
> 2. Create another network 10.1.20.0/22 (half static, half dhcp)
> 3. Setup a router so that the two network can talk to each other.
> 4. This will offer no disruption to the current network setup at all.

That will work - just like any other physically separate subnets. If your
existing gateway router has an extra interface, just connect there.  You can
also use VLANs to make what will act like separate subnets use the same physical
wire if your network equipment supports it.

> One issue that I see may be coming is that, since I want to allocate
> 10.1.20.0/22 to a specific VM that belong to a specific team,
> I may have to setup the DHCP based on MAC. Could be very tedious.

You could use separate DHCP servers on each subnet, or configure the router to
relay to one server (ip-helper address on a Cisco).  The DHCP server will know
the subnet origin from a relayed request and can reply accordingly.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com