[CentOS] Adding the [SOLVED] Tag to break threads -- multiple factors

Sat Jul 30 07:35:52 UTC 2011
Cliff Pratt <enkiduonthenet at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:49 AM, Jake Shipton <crazylinuxnerd at gmx.com> wrote:
> On 07/29/2011 12:48 PM, Thomas Harold wrote:
>> Heck, I'd settle for people coming back to a "problem / issue" thread
>> and updating on how or what the actual problem was or what they did to
>> get the thing to work properly.
>>
>> So often you'll see a thread talking about trying X, Y & Z, then the
>> person having the problem never responds back as to whether X, Y or Z
>> worked.  Which is especially troublesome a year or two later when you're
>> digging through threads in GMane trying to find a solution to a
>> particular issue.
>>
>> (Pet peeve of the day -- dead end threads on mail lists.)
> Couldn't Agree more.

Sheesh! I'm sorry that my action of adding [Solved] to the subject has
stirred up such a can of worms. I initially thought that the person
who contacted me off-line was being prissy. I can now see that strong
opinions are held on both sides of the debate, but it is definitely
off-topic, I believe (subject to correction by the owners of the list,
of course). Please can we drop it?

Cheers,

Cliff