[CentOS] Intel HD graphics & CentOS 6: Error inserting i915

Sun Jul 31 20:52:05 UTC 2011
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011, Timo Neuvonen wrote:

>>> You need at least a 2.6.38 kernel.
>>>
>>> From: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q1.html
>>>

>> And in case of CentOS it means Redhat needs to backport
>> the driver to el6 2.6.32 kernel.
>
> I admit that my secret dream is that RH already would have done that for
> RHEL 6.1 kernels, otherwise it will take rather long time. AFAIK, they
> backport things like that only for new minor versions, so if it's not in 6.1
> in the beginning, it won't be there before 6.2?

Is this good at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support

Dynamic Kernel Module Support (DKMS) is a framework used to
generate Linux kernel modules whose sources do not generally
reside in the Linux kernel source tree. DKMS enables kernel
device drivers to be automatically rebuilt when a new kernel
is installed.

An essential feature of DKMS is that it automatically
recompiles all DKMS modules if a new kernel version is
installed. This allows drivers and devices outside of the
mainline kernel to continue working after a Linux kernel
upgrade.

Another benefit of DKMS is that it allows one to install a
new driver on an existing system, running an arbitrary
kernel version, without any need for manual compilation or
precompiled packages provided by the vendor.

I have DKMS installed on Centos 5.6, but have not actually
got round to reading all the docs for it yet. I must have
thought I needed it at one time for something.

Installed Packages
Name       : dkms
Arch       : noarch
Version    : 2.1.1.2
Release    : 1.el5.rf
Size       : 232 k
Repo       : installed
Summary    : Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework
URL        : http://linux.dell.com/dkms/
License    : GPL

Kind Regards,

Keith