[CentOS] Good book on Linux Admin (Centos 5.5)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:18:17 UTC 2011

On 6/2/2011 2:28 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:

>>> how about:
>>>
>>> The Definitive Guide to CentOS (Books for Professionals by
>>> Professionals)  from amazon
>> <snip>
>> Then there's the Real Thing:
>> I'd rate these evenly, though some folks think more of the second:
>> Essential Systems Administration, Ealeen Frisch, O'Reilly. You should
>> especially read the second chapter, The Unix Way, which explains, clearly,
>> the archetecture of *Nix, and how it works and hangs together (not the
>> code, but the o/s)
>> (There's also an O'Reilly Linux Systems Administration title)
>
> for basic or advanced use: the rute:
>
> http://linux.2038bug.com/rute-home.html

The things I always look for and almost never find are

   (a) A split between tutorial (step-by-step for common uses) and
reference sections (that have all the options). Once you've followed the
tutorial you won't want to wade through that again to find the option to
make an obscure change.

   (b) Explanations of the OS/shell/window manager/ concepts involved
and how much of what you are learning applies in general and how much
are specific to this distribution/version/program.  For example, a lot
of what happens on a command line is done by the shell and will be the
same for everything you type under that shell (wildcard expansion, i/o
redirection, etc.).  Likewise a lot of what you do in a GUI will be
window operations that work the same way no matter what is running in
the window. A lot of things are common among all unix-like systems and
when you learn new things it would be nice to know which ones are only
specific to certain situations.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com