[CentOS] ClearOS rebuild

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Fri Jun 3 00:03:34 UTC 2011

Ian Murray wrote:

>> This week's FLOSS Weekly  interview is about ClearOS (audio/video at
>> http://twit.tv/floss168).  Apparently they have taken  the CentOS
>> developer's frequently given advice to go away and do it yourself  and
>> will have a 'ClearOS core' release that is their own rebuild from Red
>> Hat sources that will be the base for the ClearOS enterprise
>> distribution instead of relying on CentOS as they have before.
>>

> Thanks for the link. It makes interesting listening because there are claims
> that they tried to engage with the CentOS devs to offer support and resourcing,
> but that relationship was not forthcoming... so they intend to build (as I see
> it) a direct competitor distribution (i.e. "binary compatible"). Also
> interestingly, apparently they have recruited help from the SME/Contribs people,
> so I don't know if that means SME will die because it had precious little
> resources to start with (and now those resources work for the competition) or
> SME will still carry on and be rebased on Clear Core. Also stated in the audio
> is that this was all a direct response to the uncertainties around CentOS.
>
> So, it is interesting to see how this is all going to pan out.

My look at the website shows only i386 versions - this is a long way
away from a replacement or alternative to CentOS.
Worth watching as they do have some very positive indications of
supporting and assisting the little guys (small business and home users)
- they also have their foundation registered in New Zealand rather than
the USA as the Kiwis have a more enlightened view on software patents
and protections - particularly in regards to FOSS. (My totally unbiased
view of course as a Kiwi ;-) ).