[CentOS] Good book on Linux Admin (Centos 5.5)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:18:55 UTC 2011

On 6/3/2011 11:54 AM, Thomas Harold wrote:

>> The things I always look for and almost never find are
>>
>> (a) A split between tutorial (step-by-step for common uses) and
>> reference sections (that have all the options). Once you've followed the
>> tutorial you won't want to wade through that again to find the option to
>> make an obscure change.
>
> For pure reference, I've always liked my "Linux in a Nutshell" book
> (O'Reilly publisher), which has a huge section with all of the commands
> and options. It even has sections on "vi" and "emacs".
>
> Google and man pages take care of the rest.
>
> (Also, since CentOS is so similar to RHEL, anything taught in a RHEL
> book tends to carry over.)

Back in the old (pre-X) days of unix, the entire manual set was a few
small books that you could easily flip through and understand how all of
the tools might be used together under control of a shell command or
script.  And if you understood what the fork() system call did, all the
rest would make sense.  I'm not sure how someone starting today would
find the core tool set (which is almost unchanged today except for the
GNU options on some commands and the addition of perl) or where to start
with man/google.  Or if these even matter any more now that there are
monolithic GUIs to do most common operations and computers are fast
enough to run them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com