[CentOS] /etc/security/limits.conf : rss

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jun 3 17:35:06 UTC 2011

Christophe Caron wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I run CentOS 5.6 on a Dell PowerEdge R815 with 256 GB of RAM.
> We use Sun Grid Engine to schedule jobs on this node.
>

> I want to limit the memory usage about 150 GB per process.
<snip>
> But, at least one process (oases - a bioinformatics tool) bypass this
> limitation and use always 240 GB of memory (the last run) !!
<snip>
Is there some way to limit the number of threads the job can have? We had
a problem like that - a user on a 48-core system that proceded, as the
final step of the job, to want half again as much memory as the system had
(256G!!!). After discussions, he limited what he submitted, so that's why
I wondered if you could control that administratively.

      mark