[CentOS] ClearOS rebuild

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 02:20:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> I'm having some problems with the way the conversation is going. RedHat
> *was* a company; to me, the RHEL was aimed as a wedge, to get into
> corporate America. For that matter, who started offering their distro of
> RHEL around then? Why, the same company that offered this new o/s on their
> brand new product, the IBM PC in 1980: IBM.

I see it this way. Red Hat tried to get into the retail desktop
market, with some limited success. They were basically selling the
media, CD and books. That market dried up when high speed Internet
became more common -- everyone could download and burn their own CDs.
So they reinvented themselves. Whether that was a good or bad decision
for the community, their focus on the corporate market seems to have
paid off for them. And, honestly, it appears to have worked out pretty
well for others who use SL or CentOS, or one of the many products
based on CentOS (like most of the open VOIP switches and ClearBox,
Blue Onyx, etc.).

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6