[CentOS] Revisor

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Mon Jun 6 13:33:30 UTC 2011

Deivison Moraes wrote:
>   My intention is to build a custom platform CentOS,
> turned to the phone so we choseCentOS. actually in the fedora is more
> likely to work?

RHEL/CentOS/SL 6.0 is build from frozen Fedora 12-13 tree, with some
modification and a lot of stabilization (bug fixes and cleanups). CentOS
5.x is several years old, and in the Linux world these several years
were very productive, so CentOS 5.x is very very old in Linux terms.
Solid as a rock, but still very old for newer applications. that is why
we all wait for version 6.0, to carry us another 3-4 years.

It's like with PC's. They finally matured and developed so when you
today buy ANY new PC's, even the cheapest, it will be strong enough for
normal office work, will play music and movies without any problems.
Even lighter games are nicely played on integrated graphics cards. It is
same with current/new Linux distros. CentOS 5.x is lagging behind, but
CentOS 6.x is modern and ready for most things for years to come.

Fedora is unstable by itself, and new version is released every 6 months
to test new stuff, so for the long run you want CentOS.

Fedora and better yet SL 6.0 is excelent for testing how things work and
behave, but for the final thing I suggest using CentOS 6.0(1) when it
comes out.

Ljubomir