[CentOS] Problem changing server on a LAN

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jun 6 22:47:06 UTC 2011

I'm having great difficulty trying to change server on my home LAN.
At present 192.168.2.2 is my server, running CentOS-5.6
and connecting to an ADSL modem.
I want to change server to another CentOS machine, 192.168.2.5 .
The problem is that I cannot get the computers on the system
to forget the old server, even when it is completely disconnected,
and the new server is connected to the modem.

It seems extraordinarily difficult to get rid of the link
to the old server.
Even when all the machines are re-booted they still
want to give 192.168.2.2 as their default gateway.

Is this a problem often met in this kind of situation?
I'm wondering if it would be simpler to give the old address
to the new server?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net