[CentOS] text-mode system and /media

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jun 7 13:05:15 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:38:12 AM John R Pierce wrote:
> On 06/06/11 7:31 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> > think that's a feature of a GUI-based system.
>
> indeed, this is a ongoing peeve of mine with linux.    getting wireless
> networking functioning without those GUI helpers is a real pain too.
>
> this stuff should all be implemented in underlying daemons, with both
> text and GUI control surfaces.

NetworkManager has text utilities, at least in EL6. (the nmcli applet, part of the base NetworkManager package).  How well it works I don't know, haven't tried.

But GUI isn't a dirty word.  While it's nice to do things CLI only, and it's definitely conserving of bandwidth, there are uses for the GUI that the CLI cannot do easily.

And vice-versa.

Since it is an open-source system, John, you know that for it to get implemented someone has to have that itch to scratch..... and the place to scratch that itch is in Fedora.... Upstream EL has other goals, and things do get implemented due to paying customer request.  Sometimes even due to request from a non-customer.....

Apparently the 'CLI can control everything the GUI can' isn't an itch anyone is currently scratching (unless that's one of the goals behind systemd.... although I think the opposite goal is the case there, making the system much more GUI-drivable at all levels).