[CentOS] hard disk install failure

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jun 7 13:37:17 UTC 2011

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Now I have to work out how to install Windows on the machine,
>>> but I daren't ask about that here ...
>>> I need it because my ISP claims to have tripled the speed
>>> of my supply, but says I have to run a Windows CD
>>> to setup the modem he has given me.
>>
>> ?? What kind of modem? Linux handles almost everything. Certainly, I
>> didn't need to install WinDoze to work with the DSL modem I got from
>> Verizon.
>
> You could ask someone to bring their Windowz laptop, set it up and you
> are done. One you set it up like they want, you are not going to need
> that CD again, at least for a while.
>
> And most xDSL modems have nice web GUI, CD's are mostly used as
> idiot-proof measure with nice colored setup program.

Reading this, I'm thinking still more about the bigger picture, there. I
didn't see the start of this thread - is this a home system? If so, using
WinDo$e is pointless, if you're running Linux, unless you're running Linux
in a VM under WinDoze. Lessee, a quick google finds me this:
<http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Deployment_Guide/s1-network-config-xdsl.html>.

       mark