[CentOS] hard disk install failure

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jun 7 17:54:43 UTC 2011

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> b.j. mcclure wrote:
>
>>> Right, I just looked it up, and I see it's an ADSL modem. Look at your
>>> IP address, and I'll bet you're 192.168.0.x, or 192.168.1.x. Whatever it
>>> is, try pinging 192.168.[0 or 1].1. Whichever it is, pull up your
>>> browser, and point it to that IP, and you should be at the modem's web
>>> interface, and you can go from there.
>>>
>> Or 192.168.1.254
>
> Actually, the modem's web-page is at 192.168.1.254 ,
> but I'm told I need a password to go further.
> My password with my ISP did not work,

Nope. It may be the default setting password that the OEM assigns. Ask
your ISP what the password is. For my old Westell, it was something like
password, something dumb. I got in and changed it, of course. Resetting
the original settings, including the password, was push a button.

> and strangely I was never asked for my username.
> The only other information on the web-page
> is the suggestion that I should run the CD.

Unless there's some firmware update on the CD, the only thing it would do
is the Windows settings.

> In fact I've gone back to my old modem,
> as I have some pin-holes opened there.

<g>