[CentOS] Changing from RHEL to CentOS

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jun 8 16:05:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 04:59:01PM +0100, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Lamar Owen wrote:
>
> > And while CentOS does its best to be 100% binary compatible, I wonder how
> > supportable a combined system (partial upstream binaries, partial CentOS or
> > SL binaries) really will be over the complete release cycle, and what sort
> > of oddball bugs you might run up against six years from now.
>
> I'd bet on no problems myself, mixing RHEL and CentOS.

FWIW, back in the day when I ran Tao Linux at home, the Tao developer
needed to get out from under (new job, family commitments, etc.),
so he (and Johnny Hughes, as I recall) pushed out a (set of??) yum
update(s??) that once run converted Tao Linux into Centos. No problems
occurred at all, at least not for me, and all subsequent yum invocations
went to the centos repos rather than the Tao repos. That was during
the era of Centos-3, and my system ran this way for some time (no, I
don't recall how much time, but it was at least a large fraction of a
year, if not longer) until Centos 4 came along, at which time I did
a fresh install.

Too bad I don't know (and probably never knew) exactly what it was
that those updates did.

In my ignorance I'd sorta assume the same (sort of) thing could be
done to convert rhel to centos. but what do I know? :)

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us