[CentOS] Vim scripting - cursor motion

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 16:22:31 UTC 2011

On 6/11/11 11:08 AM, Alain Péan wrote:

>>> So this was my first-ever vim script. So far I am not convinced about
>>> vim scripting (ok, I was warned, too)... Test cycle is slow (modify
>>> script, quit the realfile, open realfile again with vim -s script).
>>> Verbal error messages would be useful. There is supposed to be
>>> "integrated debugger". I would like to know more.
>> I'd still recommend learning to do it in perl as being likely faster and more
>> generally useful, especially if the sql db you mentioned can be accessed
>> directly. The regeps will be approximately the same and it is easy to find perl
>> example code for DBI operations and manipulating files.  And unlike working in
>> shell/awk/editors, you very seldom find an operation that perl can't do itself
>> so it often ends up simpler than the shell wrapper you need for other tools.
>>

> I hope not to begin a flame war, but I would recommend Python. It can do
> the same things as Perl (regexp ansd so on), but is easier and faster to
> learn, and the code is also much more readeable...

There is sort-of a tradeoff in the syntax choices between the languages.  Perl
is easier to write because it is flexible and you can use a syntax that
resembles something you already know (shell/c/awk) with simple changes.  That
makes other peoples perl less readable, but not your own.  The other win for
perl is that any operation that would take more than a page of code that you are
likely to want to do has almost certainly already been done and is available as
a module on CPAN (and possibly packaged as an rpm).  Does python have anything
to match that yet?  How many database types can it access with available
modules?  Perl's DBI/DBD connector list is pretty large.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com