[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Benjamin Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Tue Jun 14 14:58:12 UTC 2011

On 06/14/2011 06:19 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Timeliness, dunno. Ubuntu (or fedora) for production? NOT IF I HAVE ANY
> CONTROL!!! Given how many developers write incredibly fragile code, that
> is utterly dependent upon a very, very special environment, I guarantee
> that the almost daily updates will break it, or the New Features! will
> have changed interfaces....

The LTS server releases are very good. I use them routinely and they
have been quite stable. I currently use them for all new 'base metal'
server installations with my CentOS systems in VMs on top of them. Over
the next few years I anticipate migrating everything at all levels to
them as I get more comfortable with it. My only real complaint is having
to learn the way a Debian derived system hangs together vs how a Redhat
derived system is put together.

And AppArmor has yet to 'knee-cap' me like SELinux has (repeatedly) by
breaking previously stable systems. Where I routinely disable SELinux on
CentOS, I have yet to have AppArmor interfere with normal ops - ever. It
"just works".

--
Benjamin Franz