[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 15:23:51 UTC 2011

On 6/14/2011 10:06 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Benjamin Franz wrote:
>> On 06/14/2011 06:19 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>>
>>> Timeliness, dunno. Ubuntu (or fedora) for production? NOT IF I HAVE ANY
>>> CONTROL!!! Given how many developers write incredibly fragile code, that
>>> is utterly dependent upon a very, very special environment, I guarantee
>>> that the almost daily updates will break it, or the New Features! will
>>> have changed interfaces....
> <snip>
>> And AppArmor has yet to 'knee-cap' me like SELinux has (repeatedly) by
>> breaking previously stable systems. Where I routinely disable SELinux on
>> CentOS, I have yet to have AppArmor interfere with normal ops - ever. It
>> "just works".
>
> Ok... do you have in-house developed software? I've got one team that's
> using ruby on rails, and the other admin has to compile it from source,
> because they, I mean, just *have* to have the latest version, and another
> team has a customized version of some software that is either licensed, or
> open source, don't remember, that's all in java, and then there's the
> parallel processing programs....
>
> But the first two, esp the first, are *incredibly* fragile, and I've seen
> that in other places I've worked. Then there was the grief I had on a box
> that's only used for offline backups on encrytped drives, and going from
> 10? 11? to 13 was a nightmare, and X wouldn't work until I got rid of
> gnome, and put KDE on....
>
> I want solid and stable.

I don't get the comparisons. Do you have some specific bad experience
with LTS to make this relevant?  If you are building stuff from source,
the distribution packages are basically irrelevant - and in java the
whole OS is mostly irrelevant.  Fedora releases are rather clearly
alpha/beta versions intending to lead up to RHEL after a lot of
bugfix/QA work to stabilize it.  But ubuntu isn't like that - they don't
push stuff out just to get testing for some later money making release,
it is the best they can do in the first place with an emphasis on ease
of installation and use.  The LTS versions are even designed to do
major-rev upgrades over the network - and it has worked on the machines
where I've tried it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com