[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:37:30 UTC 2011

On 6/14/2011 10:48 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>> Non-LTS are virtually the same as Fedora releases; experimental
>> releases. Even some LTS releases get pushed out the door with major bugs
>> in various packages. The only plus is that it is possible to do
>> major-rev upgrades provided that you do not use third-party repos.
>>
>> Every Ubuntu release has been fraught with the screams of victims who
>> had their dist-upgrade blow up in their face whether LTS or non-LTS
>> release. Okay, I personally have not had major problems, but it sure
>> does not inspire confidence.
>
> Odd you should mention it - a friend on a techie mailing list just tried
> to set up dual-boot XP w/ ubuntu, and had all *kinds* of grief, dunno if
> she just restored XP. Wouldn't recognize her USB keyboard, didn't get the
> graphics card and monitor right (which does surprise me), and she had fun
> trying to find in which submenu the X settings were (applications, not
> system!).

I suppose there is hardware that nothing but pre-installed windows will
recognize....  But I happen to have a dual-boot XP/Ubuntu laptop where I
can run the ubuntu session either natively or under VMware player and it
just pops up a dialog asking if I want to run in low-res or reconfigure
X (which it does automatically) when I switch between the modes and it
sees different hardware.  And it detects a USB keyboard just fine,
whether hot plugged or present at boot time.   So, I don't think your
friend's experience is typical and it certainly doesn't match mine.   By
the way, my install was originally a 9.x LTS, upgraded to a 10.x over
the network while running under vmware and I installed it in the first
place because Centos didn't include a driver for the wifi and ubuntu
'just worked'.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com