[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 21:54:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Odd you should mention it - a friend on a techie mailing list just tried
> to set up dual-boot XP w/ ubuntu, and had all *kinds* of grief, dunno if
> she just restored XP. Wouldn't recognize her USB keyboard, didn't get the
> graphics card and monitor right (which does surprise me), and she had fun
> trying to find in which submenu the X settings were (applications, not
> system!).

My brother called this weekend. He's a Windows programmer who has
recently started experimenting with Linux. Ubuntu, specifically. He
upgraded and then his ATI video card quit working correctly. He
finally found the solution, but he searched all day (I was no help to
him). I have one partition set up with Linux Mint 10 (because my Dad
uses Linux Mint and I want to be able to support him over the phone).
Every time I boot up, Nautilus and Gnome-Panel don't come up. (I have
to go to a terminal and type "pkill nautilus" and "pkill gnome-panel"
to get them to work.) So, although Mint is "pretty" and uses modern
packages, it's not rock solid like CentOS. Of course desktops are
different than servers and I can only speak from personal (limited)
experience.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6