[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Jun 15 01:29:55 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 08:59 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Ron Blizzard<rb4centos at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM,<m.roth at 5-cent.us>  wrote:
>>
>>> Odd you should mention it - a friend on a techie mailing list just tried
>>> to set up dual-boot XP w/ ubuntu, and had all *kinds* of grief, dunno if
>>> she just restored XP. Wouldn't recognize her USB keyboard, didn't get the
>>> graphics card and monitor right (which does surprise me), and she had fun
>>> trying to find in which submenu the X settings were (applications, not
>>> system!).
>>
>> My brother called this weekend. He's a Windows programmer who has
>> recently started experimenting with Linux. Ubuntu, specifically. He
>> upgraded and then his ATI video card quit working correctly. He
>> finally found the solution, but he searched all day (I was no help to
>> him). I have one partition set up with Linux Mint 10 (because my Dad
>> uses Linux Mint and I want to be able to support him over the phone).
>> Every time I boot up, Nautilus and Gnome-Panel don't come up. (I have
>> to go to a terminal and type "pkill nautilus" and "pkill gnome-panel"
>> to get them to work.) So, although Mint is "pretty" and uses modern
>> packages, it's not rock solid like CentOS.
>
> I wouldn't generalize based on your experience because Mint hasn't
> become a very popular distribution by being broken. Same goes for
> Ubuntu.

Yeah, I wondered how it managed to become popular with broken
NetworkManager back in the 7.x releases and other goodness like pulseaudio.

Serves me right for recommending something I had not myself tried.
Blooming embarrassing having to talk colleague's son through the steps
necessary to bring up eth0 and then stick stuff in /etc/resolv.conf.

But hey, it's just trading one set of issues with another anyway. No
more compiling Nvidia/ATI binary blob kernel modules was a plus.

In any case, an LTS release for a server is a joke. How many PPA's have
you added for your servers?