[CentOS] OT: high static in server room

Brunner, Brian T. BBrunner at gai-tronics.com
Wed Jun 15 13:12:44 UTC 2011

centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
> On 06/14/11 5:04 PM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>> What is the worst thing can happen from excessive static?

ESD (Electro-static Discharge) is the "Radioactive Crystal Meth" of
computers.  How much you can take before you exhibit measurable
capability loss is a detail of interest only to people with no vested
interest in the operation.  *ANY* ESD is a bullet hole.  Avoid them like
a painful death.

> fried electronics.  or, imho worse than total failure, is downstream
> flakiness induced by partial gate failures from said static zaps.

Damage to circuitry is not all "instant-or-never"; damaged junctions can
take their own time (sometimes zero) to degenerate from
damaged-but-perfectly-functional to occasional errors to persistent
failure.

There is no way to predict which chip(s) take total/partial/creeping
damage from ESD.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

//me