[CentOS] OT: high static in server room

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jun 15 14:13:20 UTC 2011

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 09:12:44 AM Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
>> Damage to circuitry is not all "instant-or-never"; damaged junctions can
>> take their own time (sometimes zero) to degenerate from
>> damaged-but-perfectly-functional to occasional errors to persistent
>> failure.
<snip>
> Dust isn't as bad of an issue as you might think, but stains are.  And I
> do the vacuuming of the data center spaces myself, with a dedicated vac
> with HEPA filtration.  Takes less than half an hour for the critical
> spaces, and gives me a good reason to inspect everything.
<snip>
Ever heard the old, old m'frame (I think) story, of the guy who needed to
do a backup, and the tape failed, and they had to go to an older one. The
next few days, he was trying to find out why, and discovered all of the
tapes on the bottom row of the tape (reel) rack were bad. Stayed late one
day, working on it... and watched as the cleaner came in, and ran the
floor cleaner right up to the rack....

         mark