[CentOS] Mirror URL Times Out

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Wed Jun 15 17:25:51 UTC 2011

Torintino T wrote:
>   Dear All,
>
>  I am using Centos 4.7, i have an issue when i run yum update, the URL
> times-out even when i browse it on firefox
>
> #yum update php
>  Setting up Update Process
>  Setting up repositories
>  http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
>  12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
>  Trying other mirror.
>  Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: update
>  failure: repodata/repomd.xml from update: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to
>  try.
>  E rror: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from update: [Errno 256] No more
> mirrors
>  to try.
>
> i tried yum clean all, but still the same.
> do you have any advice please.
>
>  Thank you

You can go to http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=30
(mirror list) and select some other mirror until you solve your
connection problem. Update to 4.9 and see if problem persists.

Also check you system for signs of security breach.

try tracerouting http://mirror.centos.org, and 64.94.65.2 (IP of the
mirror.centos.org) at least for me, since it could be DNS issue.

Ljubomir