[CentOS] ext4 in CentOS 5.6?

Marian Marinov mm at yuhu.biz
Thu Jun 23 19:47:40 UTC 2011

On Thursday 23 June 2011 22:31:28 PJ wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Marian Marinov <mm at yuhu.biz> wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 June 2011 19:16:37 PJ wrote:
> >> I'm sure many are running ext4 FS's in production, but just want to be
> >> re-assured that there are not currently any major issues before
> >> starting a new project that looks like it will be using ext4.
> >>
> >> I've previously been using xfs but the software for this project
> >> requires ext3/ext4.
> >>
> >> I'm always very cautious before jumping onto a new FS, (new in the
> >> sense it is officially supported now)
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >
> > I'm running some 50 servers with ext4 each server has 2x15TB ext4
> > partitions. I haven't had an issue with that setup. The first server was
> > setup 3 years ago. It is quite faster then XFS in terms of write
> > performance and thus far reliable without any major problem.
> >
> > Keep in mind that user land tools are limited and the biggest partition
> > you can create with them at the moment is 16TB. You can recompile the
> > tools and remove this limitation if that is a problem for you.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marian Marinov
>
> Thanks for all the great replies everyone.
>
> I've got an 18TB partition - the limit is 16TB even in x86_64?

Yes. At least it was so, last year. I haven't checked recently. And I don't
have a spare machine to repartition for the test.
We have a 30TB RAID6 array and I was really annoyed that I had to make two
partitions to utilze the whole space.

The wiki pages are still not updated:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems
  https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto

NOTE: Although very large fileystems are on ext4's feature list, current
e2fsprogs currently still limits the filesystem size to 2^32 blocks (16TiB for
a 4KiB block filesystem). Allowing filesystems larger than 16T is one of the
very next high-priority features to complete for ext4.