[CentOS] No DVD Mirrors - Only Torrent

Yves Bellefeuille yan at storm.ca
Fri Jun 24 03:47:29 UTC 2011

On Thursday 23 June 2011 20:23, Always Learning wrote:

> Currently running 5.6 and would like a two set DVD of that version.
> However none of the mirrors offer pure DVDs only Torrent versions
> which involve the possibility of bits being tampered with and things
> leaving my servers without explicit knowledge and authority.

Some of the mirrors have DVD images available for direct download. For
example, at http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=30 ,
some mirrors are indicated as having "Direct DVD Downloads".

I agree with John that the argument about torrents not being "virgin" is
complete nonsense. You get the torrent file from one of the mirrors,
and that's just as secure are getting an ISO image from one of the
mirrors.

Once you've downloaded the DVD image using BitTorrent, you can check it
against the checksums in the release announcement in exactly the same
way as if you downloaded the DVD image itself from a mirror.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se