[CentOS] Exporting /dev/shm as NFS share?

Emmanuel Noobadmin

centos.admin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 10:33:04 UTC 2011

I'm trying to do some network transfer test using NFS. The problem is
when I try to eliminate the possibility of the hard disks being the
bottleneck. I am unable to export /dev/shm as a NFS share. Initially
there was an error about fsid or wrong filesystem.

If I use a symbolic such as /home/test -> /dev/shm, on the remote
system, this causes the NFS client to see its own /dev/shm

If I mount /home/test as a tmpfs on the host and export it, the client
also appear to use its own tmpfs rather than the host.

Is there anyway to work around this or some other way to test the
network speed without being bottlenecked by the sending side?