[CentOS] Firefox 5 on Centos 5.6

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Fri Jun 24 19:52:53 UTC 2011

Daniel De Marco wrote:
> * Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net> [06/24/2011 15:06]:
>> So has anyone actually got FF 5 working OK on CentOS 5.6
>> i686 32 bit yet?
>>
>> If so, is it actually worth taking the trouble to upgrade to
>> FF 5, and what is the recommended way to do this upgrade
>> please?
>
> it seems to work fine here. Just get the binary from mozilla and put in
> the same directory the libstdc++.so.6.0.10 from fedora.
>
> Daniel.

I just tried it my self. It does work.

You can download this Fedora 9 version (I actually use F10 version):
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive.fedoraproject.org/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/x86_64.newkey/os/Packages/libstdc++-4.3.0-8.i386.rpm
and unpack only .libstdc++.so.6.0.10 file, symlink leave and put
libstdc++.so.6.0.10 file in folder where you unpacked firefox 5. Then in
same folder create symlink to libstdc++.so.6.0.10 file (name of the
symlink must be libstdc++.so.6), or rename libstdc++.so.6.0.10 to
libstdc++.so.6.

What I aditionaly did was to duplicate my Firefox profile
(/$HOME/.mozilla/firefox/<profile-name>) in same directory undeer the
different name and to add that profile to
/$HOME/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini (manual edit) and to set
StartWithLastProfile=0 in that same profiles.ini file so I am always
asked to select desired profile.

That way I will use new profile on Firefox 5, but will have old one for
use on Firefox 3.6.x if I am not happy with version 5.

Ljubomir