[CentOS] Shared object packaging in rpm

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Sat Jun 25 05:22:40 UTC 2011

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I whipped up a quick spec to package Zenoss' wmi client and noticed it creates a
> libasync_wmi_lib.so.0 and libasync_wmi_lib.so.0.0.1 that their python script would
> otherwise copy during its install routine (obviously I wrote a native rpm section for
> installation).
>
> Anyone know the naming convention associated with so's when they get compiled,
> what is the .0.1 extra file used for, they are slightly different.
>
> Thanks,
> jlc

Are you sure that libasync_wmi_lib.so.0 is not a symlink form
libasync_wmi_lib.so.0.0.1? libasync_wmi_lib.so.0 would be library
reference, and libasync_wmi_lib.so.0.0.1 is actual library file with
version number. New version would then have for example
libasync_wmi_lib.so.0.0.2 and libasync_wmi_lib.so.0 symlink would be
changed to point to that new file. That way you always know which
version is in use but your apps are now confused.

Ljubomir