[CentOS] Jumbo frames problem with Realtek NICs?

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 04:15:39 UTC 2011

On 6/26/11, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jumbo frames don't give higher throughput, but lower CPU.
>
> I find standard frames give better throughput for 4K block sizes like one
> typically finds with file systems.
>
> You really don't need to go to jumbo frames until you reach 10Gbps speed.

This was pretty much my conclusion (only useful at higher speeds and
for reducing packet processing overheads) after further reading since
the experiment.

Now the question is whether the overheads reduction, even at sub-10GBs
speeds, may be significant if the host/guest are VMs instead of actual
physical machines.