[CentOS] how do determine last file system on disk?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sun Jun 26 08:11:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 06/26/11 12:58 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> >
> > All the drives are old 160GB SATA. There's 1x 160GB IDE as well.
> >
> > They were used in the office on various machines, so no hardware RAID,
> > but they definitely had some data on them.
> > I did get some drives with software RAID on and could recover the
> > data, but there's 2 drives which I can't figure out what filesystem
> > they have / had on them.
> > We use Linux & FreeBSD, so I suspect they had ZFS / UFS on them, but
> > couldn't mount them on a FreeBSD server with ZFS or UFS either.
> >

> is it possible you used the raw disk without partitioning?   so in
> linux, that would be /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sdb1 or whatever.
>

> on a random server with normally partitioned disks...
>
> # file -s /dev/sda
> /dev/sda: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active, starthead 1,
> startsector 63, 256977 sectors; partition 2: ID=0xfd, starthead 0,
> startsector 257040, 4192965 sectors; partition 3: ID=0xfd, starthead 0,
> startsector 4450005, 138914055 sectors, code offset 0x48
>
> # file -s /dev/sda1
> /dev/sda1: Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data (needs journal recovery)
>

> --
> john r pierce                            N 37, W 122
> santa cruz ca                         mid-left coast

It's hard to say. They've been in the cupboard for along time and I don't
know which tech did what on them, which is why I'm trying to see which file
systems were on them last, so that I can see what data is on them.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com