[CentOS] yum update -> [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Wed Jun 29 20:00:35 UTC 2011

On 06/29/2011 03:45 PM m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> ken wrote:
>>> Good thought.  But that machine can reach port 80 on the mirrors...
>>> nothing blocking it.
>>>
>>> So it would appear that the problem is with yum itself... as installed
>>> on the problem machine.  But it's been working fine for years and
>>> there's been no changes to yum.conf.
>>>
>>> I've upped the debug level (to 4).  I'll run that awhile and see what I
>>> get.
>>>
>> Is it possible you have DNS errors on that machine?
>
> Or could permissions on a directory have accidentally been changed, and it
> can't create the socket?
>
> Nooo, I just looked at errno.h, and that says corrupt shared library.
>
>          mark

Yeah, the making of a socket shouldn't at all depend upon the
permissions on a directory where a file is to be saved... it's possible
and happens often that a socket is set up and no data is saved/written
locally.  But then it's possible that the yum code is saying it's a
socket error when it's actually some other kind of error.  We'd have to
examine the source code to ascertain that...  and probably while the
code is running in order to find where in the code the error's being
kicked out.  That's a bit more than I want to get into today.