[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Wed Jun 29 20:08:02 UTC 2011

> Am 29.06.2011 um 21:50 schrieb Emmanuel Noobadmin:
>

>> Since I'm not the only person who face problems trying to remotely
>> access a locked up server, surely somebody must had come up with a
>> solution that didn't involve somebody/something hitting the power
>> button?
>

> Yes, it's called "out of band management".
> Have dial-in access to IPMI/iLO interfaces or just an APC remote
> controlled power-switch to power-off the server.

Perhaps this suggestion is applicable:
setup a cron job where the sshd server is restarted (once or several times
per day, or per week, etc).

At one time, I had a server on an ISP that, with time, became woefully
underpowered (the anti-spam/anti-virus program ate CPU power and RAM) to
the point that occasionally, and with more frequency (once a week?) sshd
would become unresponsive. This required that someone be at console to
restart sshd; or if the problem was not understandable, reboot the box.

Having sshd restarted in cron worked until we got a new, soopa-doopa box.

> Rainer

Max