[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 20:37:57 UTC 2011

On 6/29/2011 3:26 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 6/30/11, Rainer Duffner<rainer at ultra-secure.de>  wrote:
>> If it's a server that actually deserves that name, it should have IPMI
>> on board.
>
> Problem is some of us work for budget constraints customers and define
> server by purpose and not specifications. So very often they buy
> servers based on budget and that it's good enough to run most
> applications for X users. Unfortunately, very often I'm the one who
> ends up managing these simply because our applications run on them.
>
>> You can buy add-on PCI-cards for OOB-management, though.
>
> Thanks for the information, although unless they are really cheap...

The seriously on-the-cheap approach is to run a few virtual servers on
hardware slightly better than one of the individual servers would need.
  You are much less likely to kill the host (expecially something like
ESXi) to the point where you can't connect, and more likely to be able
to afford the out-of-band management where you need it since you have
fewer boxes.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com