[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Jun 29 20:39:48 UTC 2011

> > Am 29.06.2011 um 21:50 schrieb Emmanuel Noobadmin:
> >

> >> Since I'm not the only person who face problems trying to remotely
> >> access a locked up server, surely somebody must had come up with a
> >> solution that didn't involve somebody/something hitting the power
> >> button?
> >

> > Yes, it's called "out of band management".
> > Have dial-in access to IPMI/iLO interfaces or just an APC remote
> > controlled power-switch to power-off the server.
>
> Perhaps this suggestion is applicable:
> setup a cron job where the sshd server is restarted (once or several times
> per day, or per week, etc).
>
> At one time, I had a server on an ISP that, with time, became woefully
> underpowered (the anti-spam/anti-virus program ate CPU power and RAM) to
> the point that occasionally, and with more frequency (once a week?) sshd
> would become unresponsive. This required that someone be at console to
> restart sshd; or if the problem was not understandable, reboot the box.
>
> Having sshd restarted in cron worked until we got a new, soopa-doopa box.

If the problem is excessive load because Sendmail / Mimedefang / spamd /
etc. is too busy handling tons of mail/spam being dumped on your server, you
might want to look at these sendmail options:

ConnectionRateThrottle	(34.8.12)
MaxDaemonChildren	(34.8.35)

also

QueueLA			(34.8.50)
RefuseLA		(34.8.54)

setting these can keep Sendmail (and Mimedefang, spamd,  etc.) from
overwhelming the system.