[CentOS] network hang [was: Re: yum update -> [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out - More info]

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Thu Jun 30 17:15:48 UTC 2011

On 06/30/2011 11:57 AM Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> ken wrote:
>> # wget
>> http://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/CentOS/5.6/updates/i386/RPMS/glibc-common-2.5-58.el5_6.4.i386.rpm
>> --2011-06-30 11:35:44--
>> http://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/CentOS/5.6/updates/i386/RPMS/glibc-common-2.5-58.el5_6.4.i386.rpm
>> Resolving ftp.linux.ncsu.edu... 152.1.2.172
>> Connecting to ftp.linux.ncsu.edu|152.1.2.172|:80... connected.
>> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
>> Length: 17244521 (16M) [application/octet-stream]
>> Saving to: `glibc-common-2.5-58.el5_6.4.i386.rpm'
>>
>>  5% [=>                         ] 1,029,216   --.-K/s  eta 23m 10s
>>
>> and just freeze there... except the right two numbers (following "eta")
>> will continue to climb higher... it stays at "5%" and "1,029,216"
>> doesn't change, and there's no activity between those two numbers.  In
>> short, the download just stops or freezes.
>>

> Have you checked your network interface on your network connection in
> general? First try the same PC in different network environment (home,
> another location?) and then try to setup another PC with the same IP in
> the same network environment as original PC.
>
> Ljubomir

In the last half hour I successfully used yum to download and install
strace, krb5-workstation and krb5-libs... for this and other reasons I'm
pretty sure I don't have a network problem.  yum and wget and ftp all
seem to have a problem  downloading
glibc-common-2.5-58.el5_6.4.i386.rpm... perhaps because it's rather
large (16M), or simply larger than 1M.  But then I was able to ftp one
file which was 5M.

Ljubomir, you are correct in that it's some kind of network problem--
well, it could have something to do with limits or some extra-weird
permissions thing I don't know about.  You'll see I've amended the
Subject line to indicate it's probably a network problem.

So, shifting into work-around mode... I used wget to download
glibc-common (the troublesome file) to another machine.  No problem.
Then I scp'd it to the problem machine-- again no problem-- and
successfully installed it there using rpm.

Now that everything's been upgraded, the urgency has gone out of the
situation.  I had thought to use strace and/or tcpdump as was suggested
(thanks for those suggestions), but I've found those utilities give a
lot of output and take a lot of time to analyze (for me anyway).  With
other things I need to get to today, I'll be saving those small projects
for another day.

But just one other quick test: I used scp on the problem box to download
that same glibc-common rpm file from the local machine (residing on the
same LAN and in the same network block) mentioned above.  It worked
fine, even downloading to the same directory (/tmp).  And, yes, rpm
verified that the file was complete and uncorrupted.  This narrows the
problem down to a couple pockets.

If I find anything more, I'll post back.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

--
"When a society comes together and makes decisions in harmony,
when it respects its most noble traditions, cares for its most