[CentOS] Trying to understand USB HD configuration

Wed Jun 1 17:50:32 UTC 2011
Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com>

I am trying to understand how my USB drive is setup in Centos 5.5
-- especially since I made a mistake of backing up to it when it
was not turned on.

The USB drive is accessed as /media/disk.  However, when I did a
backup WITHOUT the drive turned on, the data was put into the
directory, /media/disk.

Now, when I turn on the USB drive (it is self-mounted in 5.5),
the USB drive has been assigned "disk-1" -- understood.  What I
am missing is the "table" that contains the information pointing
to USB drive, disk-1.  I would like to reset the table so that
"disk" is the USB drive and delete the data that is now on my
main drive.

Hopefully I have explained the situation properly.

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952