[CentOS] Firefox 5 on Centos 5.6

Tue Jun 21 20:54:30 UTC 2011
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

I've been running Firefox 4 on Centos 5 (had to find a libstdc++.so.6 for
it by perusing newer systems from which I could steal one, but it's been
fine since then).

Well, today firefox pushed down an update to Firefox 4.0.1 without saying
what it was, and it turns out to have been firefox 5. fine, I wanted it
anyway.

But when I restarted it, I got a completely black browser window. Clicked
on the X close button and got a completely black confirmation dialog.
weird.

exited it and tried safe mode. Works fine.

ldd reports no conflicts or missing libraries.

anybody else seen this? anyone got suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks!

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked