[CentOS] OT: DHCP address pool for specific MAC manufacturer

Thu Jun 23 02:44:53 UTC 2011
Raymond Lillard <ryl at sonic.net>

Dear CentOS,

This is somewhat off-topic, but I do hope to implement this on
a CentOS system, so here goes...

I would like to be able to setup a dhcpd (or like) daemon to
maintain two IP address pools.  One for devices whose leading
three octets of the client MAC address are specified and the
other for all other clients.  Both pools would be a defined
range on a commmon /24 subnet. There a several static IP
devices also on this net (servers, printer, etc...).  At no
time would there be more than a dozen of the specified MAC
range devices active.

I considered splitting the /24 block into two /25 blocks and
creating a shared-network with two subnets, but that still
leaves no way to wild-card the lower 3 octets, which I cannot
know in advance.

In addition to DHCP, I've looked at DNSmasq and a few others
but no joy.  I don't see a solution that doesn't require a
significant development effort.

I'm off to think about possible doing this in perl.  I still
hope someone has already done this.

Thanks,
Ray