[CentOS] Strange issue's with LDAP and too many open files

Fri Jun 24 11:51:56 UTC 2011
Sebastiaan Koetsier | proserve <skoetsier at proserve.nl>

Hi All,

I've been growing a large headache on this one, i have a number of LDAP servers behind loadbalancing, since 2 days i constantly get the error: Too many open files. Although I'm not a newbie with linux I'm unable to resolve this, I have took the following stept:

Changed the /proc/sys/fs/file-max to 65535

Added the following configuration to /etc/security/limits.conf:

ldap             soft   nofile           65535
ldap             hard   nofile           65535
ldap             -      nofile           65535
# End of file

If I su to the ldap user where the process is running under:

[root at ldap5 ~]# su -m ldap
bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
bash-3.2$ ulimit -H -n
65535
bash-3.2$ ulimit -S -n
65535

And still I get the error: Too many open files when open files are >1024. I'm bazzled.

If anyone can provide me with some tips, please.

Cheers,
Sebastiaan.